Friday, August 12, 2011

Is cyber bullying and harassment a legal issue, an ethics issue, or a combination of both? Please read?

Let me start by saying my online conduct record has not been perfect by any means, I have trolled, and have said some pretty mean things to people on the 'net. I have also matured over the years(I think) and I can realize the difference between a joke/troll comment and an actual message left with the intent to hurt somebody. I am middle ground when it comes to politics, and I believe in protecting the right to freedom of speech and expression. I know the argument is that the constitution was not written with the internet in mind and I am aware that it was not. I think that too many laws regulating the internet would have adverse affects, because while I do agree that death threats and violent messages are way out of line, I think that most of this is a moral, maturity, and decency issue. I am aware that it is someones right to hate another person because they do not like their hairstyle or clothing. It is trivial and immature, but they are entitled to do so. Another issue is that some people are more emotionally fragile than others, so while person A will ignore these comments, person B may take them to heart. What is your take on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment