Friday, August 12, 2011

Is my kitten acting normal after vaccinations?

Hi everyone. Yesterday I took my 6 month old kitten to get his vaccinations, which included panleukopenia, rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, chlamydia, leukemia, and bordetella (2 were given via IM and one intranasally) After these were administered, I requested that he also be groomed. They said he would have to be sedated in order to do so, which is not unheard of so I've been told. I realize that after the sedation, he would still be drowsy for a few hours or more depending on how much was given and how quickly his body metabloizes the med. However my concern now is that it has been over 24 hours and he still is not acting the same, although he has improved slightly since yesterday. He's steady on his feet and is more alert. He's also been eating small amounts of food, but sleeps most of the day and acts very depressed. I feel horrible, because usually he is really hyper and plays most of the time. Is it possible that he having an adverse reaction to one of the meds? The site does not feel swollen or look infected. How long can I expect him to continue to act this way? Should I take him to a different vet tomorrow? I hope he forgives me....it makes me want to cry seeing him act so quiet...I actually miss his hyperactive personality :-( Thanks for any advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment