Friday, August 12, 2011

Should I shave my matted Wooly Siberian Husky?

I just adopted a Wooly Siberian Husky from a private Husky rescuer. The previous family neglected this dog and didn't provide the proper amount of exercise/training that this dog requires. He is a 5 year old male and his inner coat is matted everywhere. It's summer now and I am very worried about him not being able to cool himself down because of the poor condition of his inner coat. I went to a very reputable groomer and they recommended me to do a shave down. I know in general that you're not suppose to shave a Husky but would my dog's current condition make this an exception? I've tried combing it but its almost next to impossible because it's matted extremely bad. I even have trouble digging my finger through it to his skin. Also, the groomer said when they shave it, they also have the opportunity to remove any ticks or bugs latched onto his skin/hair. Please keep in mind I have a Wooly Siberian Husky which means he has a longer coat compared to regulars Sibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment